Asperger syndrome also called Asperger’s disorder is not an illness or disease, but a developmental disability, it is not curable,and usually it begins before two years old and stays for lifelong. The person affected with this condition perceive the world in a different way, they have mental problems that involves certain difficulties that need different approach and different types of support.
Asperger syndrome is a mild form of autism. People with Asperger syndrome do have average or little higher average intelligence.With specific learning issues. They face problems in social interaction, speech and difficulties with understanding and processing language.Asperger syndrome shows many of the traits as that of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) by relatively normal intelligence and language
Characteristics of Asperger Syndrome (AS)
- Asperger’s syndrome shows less symptoms than autism and those affected with this disorder may be only mildly affected.
- People with Asperger’s disorder do not show cognitive delay and they usually possess good language skills and cognitive skills and also there is no sign of speech delay
- Individuals affected with Asperger’s syndrome frequently have motor skill delays such as walking or running and they are not able to carry on activities such as riding a bike or cycle and other intense activities, that makes them socially awkward
- A child with Asperger’s disorder behaves differently, trying to find ways to get into the group but do not know how to approach them and become one with them, but they often withdraw due to lack of social skills.
- They cannot hold on conversation as they fail to understand the context of the sentences, and seem uninterested
- Those affected with Asperger’s syndrome are unable to judge people by their facial expression or body language. They have limited eye contact when speaking with others, so they fail to understand the other people’s feelings or thoughts.
- People with Asperger’s disorder often like to collect particular things that seem to catch their interest
- Those with Asperger’s disorder often have different facial expression and they seem to talk repeatedly about something that they are interested in,
Oblivious to the fact that if other person is interested or not in the conversation
- People with Asperger’s syndrome usually speak in high pitch ,and cannot manage to lower their voice while speaking
- Those affected with Asperger’s syndrome are very sensitive towards loud noises or sounds, lights and other senses such as smell and taste.
Diagnosing Asperger Syndrome
There is no particular test that can indicate that your child is suffering from Asperger syndrome, it is like this, as the child grows there are certain developments taking place continuously like socially ,physically and mentally ,if the parents think something is not normal it is this observation that may point towards Asperger’s problems and also when the child starts going to school , the teacher may notice developmental problems such as his behavior, interaction skills with others, academic skills, language skills ,physical and mental skills. All these aspects are taken into consideration to diagnose Asperger’s syndrome. It is important that your child needs to be studied thoroughly to do correct diagnosis and treated accordingly
Treatment for Asperger syndrome
Treatment is based on the specific symptoms of the child
- Medications such as aripiprazole (to suppress irritability),guanfacine (for hyperactivity), serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to control repetitive behaviours, risperidone (to promote sleep and control agitation in a child)
- there are other therapies used to improve the skills that are lacking in the affected child