Acupressure is a wellness therapy that has its roots in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) used to treat illnesses and diseases. According to ancient belief disease or illness is caused due to disturbance in the flow of energy of the body. According to traditional Chinese medical theory there are meridians in the body through which vital energy runs. This energy is also known as (Qi); during acupressure treatment the specific points or acupoints are targeted as these points are connected to the vital organs or network of organs. These meridians are based at your fingers and they connect to your brain and then connect to an organ. It is when one of these meridian is blocked imbalances occurs and results in illness, acupressure stimulates these points helps restore this balance.
Working of Acupressure
During acupressure, the practitioner makes the patient lie down with full clothes on a massage table. Acupuncturist will first examine the condition of the patient and then determine the meridian points to be acupressure, then the practitioner uses his fingers, palms, elbows or feet and gently presses on the acupressure points on the patient’s body and stimulate the nerve, which in turn sends signals to the brain, that releases hormones (such as beta- endorphins) .At first the pain increases and then it subsides and gradually the pain disappears. It is probably that the acupressure through nerve pathways corrects the imbalances of energy flow thus improving body’s functions and promotes natural healing. You may need more than one session to get rid of your illness or pain.
There are several acupressure points on your body; it can be located by only an acupressure practitioner. But the most common acupressure points are located at – large intestine 4 (L14), liver 3 (L-3) and spleen6 (SP-6).
Few health benefits of acupressure
- When acupressure points are stimulated in the right way it benefits your body in the following way-
- Promotes blood circulation and speeds up the process of healing.
- When stimulated, acupressure points will relieve tense muscles, encourage blood circulation, and prompt your body to release energy for healing. If you are currently fighting off an illness, acupressure can help speed up the process of recovery.
- It definitely reduces inflammation.
- Boosts immunity of patients suffering from cancer, and also reduces the pain caused by cancer treatment.
- Helps treat Parkinson’s disease.
- Relieves your mental stress caused by illness.
- Benefits your skin by increasing blood circulation which results in wrinkle free skin.
Conclusion – In this stressful life acupressure can be considered as a natural healer that not only strengthens your body but also relieves you from various physical and mental illnesses.