Food plays an important role in maintaining or disturbing your cholesterol levels, eating unhealthy foods and not exercising all these contribute to high cholesterol levels, which can be corrected by knowing what foods to eat and foods that are to be avoided.
Cholesterol is a fat that is present in most body tissues. Cholesterol is released in the bloodstream by the liver from the nutrients of various foods we consume and then absorbed from the small intestine and metabolized and stored in the liver. Whenever the body needs cholesterol the liver releases it. But when excess of cholesterol is stored in the liver, it is called high cholesterol which can be dangerous for your health.
Foods to eat
- Omega -3s or omega 3 fatty acids – fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, tuna are highly nutritious that are rich source of omega-3s and those who include fatty fish in their every day diet have controlled cholesterol levels. Omega-3s are polyunsaturated fats that are very essential for your body’s cells function, including this nutrient in your diet may decrease triglyceride levels and blood pressure, and prevent fatal heart arrhythmia s.
- Fruits – you can lower your cholesterol levels by including fruits such as- apples, grapes, strawberries, citrus fruits that are rich in soluble fiber called pectin, which is known to lower bad cholesterol or LDL.
- Whole grains- whole grains are packed with fiber, protein and complex carbohydrates, but take care to not eat certain grains which have excess gluten. Whole grains are beneficial to prevent the risk of heart disease. Its ability to lower cholesterol with increased consumption makes it a healthy food that helps control your cholesterol levels.
- Nuts – nuts are good source of healthy fats and good for lowering cholesterol and also excellent for heart health. Consume nuts like – almonds, walnuts, and peanuts they are all packed with nutrients.
- Beans – beans are excellent source of fiber, helps lose weight. All varieties of beans are healthy include this in your daily diet by adding to any preparations or you can just bake them or boil them and eat a very healthy food ,good to control cholesterol.
- Soy – include soy products in your daily diet, very powerful that helps control your
Foods to avoid
- Liver – liver is excellent source of all the vital nutrients, but it increases cholesterol to a great level if consumed regularly. It is better to stop liver consumption if you want to lower your cholesterol levels.
- Shell fish – shell fish has many nutritional benefits but not recommended for people with high cholesterol or suffering from heart disease.
- Fried chicken – while chicken is rich in protein and offers many health benefits, deep fried chicken should be totally avoided if you have high cholesterol even if you want to eat chicken go for grilled or baked chicken, it will be much better.
- Ice cream- ice cream is made from diary that contains fat and also sugar which is not good for you if you have high cholesterol, so next time you want eat ice cream choose the one which is made from low fat milk and sugar free.
- Egg yolk -a very popular and tasty food that no one would like to strike off from their diet, but unfortunately egg yolk is high in cholesterol content, so be careful. You can eat egg white if you want to prevent high cholesterol.