The reason for oily skin is that because your body produces oil to keep it soft and supple, but when excess oil or sebum is produced especially on the face it results in the appearance of acne and other blemishes.
Causes for oily skin
- Environment – plays a major role in the secretion of excess oil or sebum. There are so many chemicals, dust particles in the environment and changes in weather also trigger the secretion of oil on the skin that can cause acne.
- Hormones – hormones have a crucial role in the secretion of an excess of oil on the skin. When hormones fluctuate it results in increased levels of androgen levels this often happens during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause and before you have periods. People who undergo severe stress and have an illness may also have the excess release of hormones that result in secretion of excess oil. When there is an increased androgen level that indicates maturation of sebaceous glands which results in excess of sebum production that accumulates in the pores combined with dead skin cells and bacteria, which gives rise to pimples, whiteheads, blackheads and other blemishes.
- Genetics – if your parents have had the problem of excessively oily skin, you have higher chances inheriting that trait. Puberty, pregnancy and menopause are all linked to genetics and heredity factors as hormonal changes are dependent on genes.
- Medication – there are certain medications that can also increase secretion of oil like if you are on oral contraceptives and hormonal replacement medication they tend to increase oil production. There are several other medicines that lead to dehydration that can also increase the production of oil.
- Unhealthy diet – consuming an excess of processed foods that are made from refined flour, having sugar and dairy also contribute to excess oil production. Although you may be tempted to eat these foods but try to eat in limit or better avoid them.
- Treating your skin harshly – yes if you treat your skin roughly like scrubbing too hard with washcloths, exfoliates and other washing tools can strip your skin of natural oils and can cause severe dryness which causes overproduction of oil resulting in breakouts. It is very important to treat your skin gently and always use mild face washes, cleansers and exfoliates.
- Skin products – always use skin products that are of good brand and quality, remember to choose products that suit your skin like if you have dry skin, try to use products that are meant to remove dryness from your skin and make it more supple and smooth. Choosing the right product goes a long way in protecting your skin.
Tips to prevent oily skin
- Wash your face with a mild face wash in the morning and before going to bed.
- Do not use harsh face scrubs on your face.
- Use clean towel or cloth to wipe your face whenever you wash your face.
- Whenever you exercise, you sweat. It is very important to take shower after exercise to remove sweat and other particles from your skin.
- Always remove your make up before going to sleep.
- Always try to cover your face while stepping out in the sun.